Share & Earn

Althealth

The Mystery of Mold & Mycotoxins

0 2 years ago

Do you or someone you know struggle with a constellation of mysterious symptoms of which you have been told…”it’s all in your head” by multiple providers?

Chronic fatigue, brain fog, persistent cough or sore throat, unresolving sinus symptoms, unexplained muscle aches or joint pain, anxiety, depresion, long-standing skin manifestations, headaches – all of these symptoms could be a sign of biotoxin illness in the form of mold toxicity.

What is Mold & Mycotoxin Syndrome?

The “science” of the diagnosis and treatment of mold toxicity is really in its infancy. This post is an attempt to synthesize the current information and approaches that are available at present.

Usually someone who has mold toxicity isn’t just dealing with toxic mold. Oftentimes, that person is dealing with other co-infections: mast cell activation, methylation dysfunction (an issue with detoxification), reactivation of viral, bacterial, and/or parasitic infections, limbic system dysfunction, and/or vagal nerve dysfunction.

Many patients are unaware that their home or workplace could be the breeding ground of their symptoms. In fact, it’s estimated that indoor pollutants, including toxic mold, are at a concentration of 2 to 5 times higher than that of the pollutants found outdoors and contribute to more than 50% of illnesses!

Signs & Symptoms of Mold Exposure

  • fatigue, muscle weakness
  • muscle aches and cramps
  • joint pain, tendonitis, morning stiffness
  • cognitive impairment: difficulties with memory, brain fog, concerns with word finding and articulation
  • skin sensitivity to light touch
  • headaches
  • sensivitiy to bright light, blurred vision
  • chronic sinus congestion
  • cough, chest pain, shortness of breath
  • abdominal pain, gastrointestinal distress
  • depression, anxiety
  • mood swings, appetite swings, night sweats, temperature dysregulation
  • numbess and tingling, vertigo, dizziness
  • hormonal dysfunction (which can result in heavy periods)

If you’re someone who already has chronic or seasonal allergies, or suffers from a respiratory condition such as asthma or COPD, your allergic reaction to mold may be much more significant. These worsened allergic symptoms can cause:

  • persistent coughing
  • frequent chest colds
  • headaches
  • difficulty breathing
  • sinus inflammation
  • fatigue and lethargy

In cases of long-term toxic mold exposure, this may lead to more serious symptoms such as:

  • poor memory and confusion
  • sensitivity to light
  • tingling and numbness in your hands and feet
  • appetite swings and weight gain
  • increased thirst
  • hair loss
  • metallic taste in your mouth
  • abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea
  • muscle cramps
  • joint pain
  • anxiety
  • lightheadedness
  • difficulty concentrating
  • Fibromyalgia
  • chronic fatigue syndrome
  • chronic sinusitis
  • increased sensitivity to everything

Mold spores, which tend to be harmless on their own, float in the air and occur naturally both indoors and outdoors. We are always breathing them in! The mold spores we encounter each day outside can attach themselves to us by landing on our clothes, bags, and shoes. They’ll even hitch a ride on our pets! This gives the mold spores convenient access to our homes and workspaces when we go inside.

For these spores to grow into the mold we see in our homes, they need to land on moisture. A few examples of where mold may be encouraged to grow are:

  • ceiling tiles
  • walls
  • carpet
  • Wet cellulose products (such as paper, wood, and fiberboard)

What are Mycotoxins?

Mycotoxins are substances produced by mold. There is currently no upper limit of a safe amount of mycotoxins the body can handle as it is an evolving field. Mycotoxins are often stored in fat cells and fatty tissue and are known to be neurotoxic, immunosuppressant, cause immune dysregulation, can affect reproduction, can be carcinogenic, hepatotoxic (liver toxic) and nephrotoxic (kidney toxic). They can cross the blood brain barrier (BBB) and placenta. If not bound, mycotoxins can be reabsorbed back into circulation and cause all the problems listed previously.

Why doesn’t everyone have chronic mold issues?

Only about 25% of the human population has a genetic SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism) that impedes them from eradicating mold efficiently out of the body.

READ FULL ARTICLE

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *